Oceaneering’s Smart Clamp is a split mechanical fitting used to repair a damaged or leaking subsea pipeline. The fitting eliminates costly pipeline shut downs and expensive hyperbaric welding associated with other repair methods.
The fitting is available in full structural and non-structural versions that provide pressure containment to the pipeline within the encapsulated area. The non-structural version may be used to repair a pipeline that is structurally sound and has only minor damage such as pinhole leaks, local pipe wall thinning or a shallow dents. The full structural version, utilizing a grip and bowl mechanism, replaces structural integrity in more severely damaged pipelines with cracked girth welds, kinks, or punctures.
After installation, the Smart Clamp design provides a permanent high quality seal with structural reinforcement extending for the design life of the pipeline.
Smart Clamp Design Features
- Viton-B circumferential and longitudinal seals as standard, Buna-N (Nitrile) or other elastomeric compounds can be provided for compatibility with pipeline contents or inhibitors
- Elastomeric circumferential seals are mechanically set, permanently pressurized and fully restrained, mitigating concerns of explosive decompression effects for gas service
- Seal extrusion guards for 12-in Nominal Pipe Size (NPS) and larger when API 5L pipe outside diameters tolerances become significant
- Port for annulus testing, grout injection or filling with inhibitor between the seals and pipeline
- Galvalum III anodes sufficient for 25-yr design life
- Externally coated with 3-part marine epoxy
- Hardened steel grips and bowls (full structural version) provide reinforcement to the pipeline by transferring axial loads from the pipeline into the body of the fitting, effectively replacing structural integrity and removing longitudinal stresses from the damaged pipeline section
- Internal components are securely retained whether the fitting is open or closed, before or after installation